To visualise the development of skills and competences of educators who apply the VIM approach in their work, and of their learners, the VIM project uses a thorougly tested and powerful validation system called LEVEL5. The system is based on a 3-dimensional approach to validate cognitive, activity related and affective learning outcomes – which is visualised in the LEVEL5 cube.
LEVEL5 is system to support a holistic learning process that benefits learners and educators. The validation system can be adapted to any specific learning pattern, especially in the domain of informal and non-formal learning.
How to make use of LEVEL5
The LEVEL5 approach is based on a five-step procedure, starting with a description of the learning project and ending with the evidencing of learning outcomes and the validation of learners and learning projects by means of the LEVEL5 software.
In the context of VIM LEVEL5 can be applied on two levels:
- to assess and recognise the competences developed by the involved trainers in terms of embedding health related topics into their training offers
- to identify learners’ competence developments and impact of health education, e.g. through the vitality interventions offered by VIM.
For this purpose, the LEVEL5 approach was customised and contextualised to the project context. Reference systems for both target groups have been developed where these competences are described in a tangible way.
Trainers can assess their competence to “Facilitating learning processes to promote health awareness” and learners can be assessed and validated in regard to their “health care competence”.
The LEVEL5 procedure for trainers follows these steps:
- Reflect about your learning context and identify your learning objectives in the given context – we will call this „learning project“.
- Select a competence you wish to further develop and/or reflect on from the list of competences.
- Do a first assessment at the beginning of the learning phase: Read the competence description and the reference system and identify your competence level in each of the three dimensions. Give reasons or examples that prove your rating.
- Pursue your learning objectives in the given context.
- Do the second assessment at the end of the learning phase: Read the competence description and the reference system and identify your competence level in each of the three dimensions again. Give reasons or examples that prove your rating. If you wish to receive a certificate, also write a summary of the learning process for each dimension.
- If you wish to receive a LEVEL5 certificate which evidences and visualises your learning progress in your selected competence field, please document your learning activity and the outcomes of your assessment. For further information please contact our LEVEL5 office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying LEVEL5 with learners basically follows the same steps, only the assessment scenario may be different.
You will find more information on how to use LEVEL5 and the VIM reference systems in our educational guidelines.